Happiness is…

Shiny new metal!!

Advertisements

What is original?

Now that the body and chassis are apart, I am turning my attention the difficult decisions, before tackling the cleaning and sorting of parts.

Volkszone Interactive (VZi) is the forum for the VW scene.  It has a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable people, so I have been tapping into that resource to ask questions on things I am not sure about.

One of my niggling concerns is about how to re-trim the interior.  As such I posted up the photo of my interior, which I understood to be original.  It turns out, that it isn’t!

So, I have a conundrum.  Do I do as I promised and return RUY to the condition he was in when he rolled out of the show room, or do I restore him to how I know him to be?

At the moment, I have the belief that unless things are being altered for safety (such as rear disc brake conversion, additional wiring for fuel pumps etc.) that I want RUY to be original.  But I am torn by the fact that the current interior is unique as far as I can tell and that makes Ruy all the more special.

So, what should I do?

 

Getting by with a little help…

…From my friends!

Today was the day that Ruy’s body was separated from his chassis for the first time since leaving the factory.  In order to capture the historic moment, I invited several friends to come over and help mark the occasion… by lifting the body and moving it to the newly built shelter!

Firstly, Ian headed over as advance guard to show me the best way to remove the rear suspension, brakes and Z-bar.  Thankfully the reading I had done meant I had a good idea of what was going on and seeing it physically meant I increased my understanding.  Aside from a few stubborn nuts, things went pretty well.

We then turned our attention to the front beam and removed that, which meant supporting the front of the car on a pallet so we could slide the beam out!

When Fran turned up, the three of us were able to lift the body off the car and put it down close by, so we could work of removing the pedal assembly, gearbox, spring plates, gearshaft and all associated cabling from the chassis.

Fran worked his magic on the pedal assembly and created a template so I know where to have the plates welded for it and the accelerator pedal.

By this time, Josh, Mark, Dan and Dave arrived and we were able to lift Ruy’s body, sedan chair fashion, over the fence and into the shelter built especially for him.

We then cleaned up the chassis, bagged and tagged all the bits and checked the chassis over for major issues.  Unfortunately I will need a new frame head, Napoleon’s hat and rear cross member along with floor pans but otherwise, the chassis is good.

I will admit to embarking on the next phase of the project with trepidation.  The fun part of dismantling the car has been done.  Now it is the slog of cleaning parts, stripping down assemblies and so on.  This might cause me to lose faith but I will try and remember the end goal!

I would like to say a huge thank you to all those who helped today.  I may have seemed a little bewildered at times, as so much was going on and I wasn’t able to keep track of all the bits being removed and the advice being given.  I really appreciate all your help.

Now to crack out the credit card and buy some parts!

Getting naked

No, not me silly!

Today I used the first really good weather since before Christmas to make Ruy’s body a bit lighter ready for the lift.  It has been hard to get people together to help lift the body, so I am using the extra time to do what I can to lighten the potential load.

Today I continued removing parts from behind the dash.  That meant all the air vents and ducting were removed, along with the air controls, the wiper motor, the ashtray holder and glovebox.

Everything went smoothly, albeit with some fiddly bits taking a while to remove.  The only issue is that the driver’s side air splitter which connects to the heater channel was loose and came out along with the ducting.  The potentially poses a problem later on in the build.

After removing the headlamp and hazard light switches from the dash, labelling everything up and placing in the bonnet, I moved on to removing the wheels – just because I can.

I then began the task of removing the doors, which I hoped would be easy enough, thanks to an impact driver borrowed from a friend.  Everything was fine until the last screw, which refused to budge.  I resorted to heating it up for a while then trying again.  It soon came out!

So, everything is set for removing the body.  Then it is on to removing everything from the chassis.

Before I do that, I will need to measure the existing floorpans, so I know the correct measurements for welding in the new ones.  I will also need to clean everything up, before shipping it off to the blasters and plasticoaters.

Yes, I have decided to get the chassis and pans plasticoated, as it works out about the same price but lasts a lot longer and means no need for Waxoyl it seems.

 

Hail stops play!

Today I managed to get a few extra bits done on the car as I count down the days until the strong man team can help lift the body off.

I thought I would try and remove the padded dash, speedo, glovebox and wiper motor.  However, I only got so far, as the heavens opened and it hailed heavily.

I was extra careful in removing the padded dash, so I didn’t rip or split any of it.  There are a couple of old splits which will need attention but I managed to remove it without much fuss.

The speedo was removed easily and I was careful to label everything, so the wiring makes sense!

I need to read up on how to remove the fresh air vents which will then enable me to remove the wiper motor.

I will try and get this task done next weekend.