Place Headlining here

So, today was a good day.  A productive day.  A day of obvious progress.

I was able (through much swearing and cursing and damaged fingertips) to remove the loom.  This is a huge step in the right direction as it can now be sent off to be copied into a new loom entirely.

Removing the loom was problematic in a couple of areas.

Firstly, the loom going from engine bay to rest of car was held in place by lots of expanding foam – an original installation tool – not aftermarket.  It took a lot of hacking, stabbing and gouging with various tools to remove enough foam to get the loom free. Even so, I had to cut the loom in half at the point it entered the rear quarter panel in order to free everything.

Secondly, to get the loom out from the bonnet, I had to remove a number of plugs so the wires could come up through the body.  Lots of photographs were taken to make sure I could put the wires back in the right order later!

You can see a video of the loom out here:  Loom video

As you can see from the photos below, the loom is now out and I have bagged it ready for sending away.  I just need to decide what modifications I want to make to it.

I was also able to remove the headlining from the car now the glass is out.  This was a pretty straightforward job, aside from where the door rubbers are.  These are sewn into the headlining and then pinned in place with metal clips attached to the pillars.  A bit of teasing the clips out and the rubbers came away ok.

Finally, I removed the remaining chrome trim, and the boot and bonnet catches.

All that is left to do on the body is clean up the remains of the felt wadding and remove the remaining sound deadening tar boards, so that body work can begin without having to pay for cleaning up.  So, a good deal of progress made!

What did they glue that on with?

I seem to have come across the strongest glue known to man.  Not only has the glue survived 45 years, sunshine, heat, cold and cigarette smoke no doubt – it is also withstanding chemicals and brute force!  It simply will not budge!

I am in the process of prepping the body for being worked on, removing old sound proofing and insulation.

So, in frustration, I took the rear side windows out!

Overall, progress is being made.  The chassis is off being welded and the body is lined up to be worked on.  At the weekend at Stanford Hall I picked up the right quarter light glass for Ruy too but will need to source some decent quarter light frames I think.

As you can see the photos of the body without glass, there is a hole in the top of the passenger side panel which I hope won’t take too much to sort.  The worry is that all of that side seems pretty rotten in places and it could cost a lot to resolve.

That is my main concern at the moment – that until it is being worked on, I don’t know how much the body work is going to cost me!